Yesterday was Don Knotts birthday and we will be celebrating his birthday this Saturday, July 23, in Downtown Morgantown. The celebration includes free public events and local specials offered by a number of downtown restaurants.
Morgantown will celebrate Don Knotts with a daylong celebration downtown this Saturday. The event will kick off with the unveiling of the Don Knotts statue created by sculptor Jamie Lester, of Vandalia Bronze. This statue has already been installed outside of the Metropolitan Theatre, directly behind the Don Knotts star of fame, and will be unveiled at 10:00 am. Don Knotts, born Jesse Donald Knotts, is considered by many to be a local hometown hero. He was born in Morgantown, WV on July 21, 1924. He is best known for his role as Deputy Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show, which aired from 1960 – 1968 and continues to re-run to this day.
He also starred in several comedy films and reappeared in another hit show, Three’s Company, as landlord Mr. Furley which aired in the 70’s to early 80’s.
Karen Knotts, Don Knotts daughter, will perform Deputy’s Daughter, a comedic monologue about growing up with her legendary comedian father. This event is free to the public and will begin at approximately 11:30 at the Metropolitan Theatre.
Don Knotts memorabilia, contributed by the West Virginia Regional History Collection, will be on display inside the lobby. The Morgantown History Museum is also hosting an exhibit entitled Don Knotts: Memories, and was created by Pamela Ball. An opening reception will be held Saturday, July 23, from 12-3 pm. Karen Knotts, will at the Morgantown History Museum Sunday, July 24, for a meet and greet from 1-3 pm.
Downtown restaurants will be offering specials Saturday in honor of Don Knotts.
Food specials include:
- Jameson’s Pub & Eatery: “Don Burger” – A 6oz. burger with their house Jameson’s BBQ sauce, onion crisps, cheddar cheese, and pickles served with your choice of onion rings or fresh cut fries for $8.99
- Pita Pit: “Barney BLT” with 50 cents off BLTs and Fife’s free drinks (free drinks with purchase of any pita or salad)
- Sandwich U: “Skinny Don Knotts”
- Boston Beanery: “Mayberry Pasta Bake” – penne, marinara, sausage, grilled chicken, and cheese for $12.99
- Morgan’s High St DINER: “Mayberry Burger” – burger with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and cheese topped with a fried egg with a side of fresh cut fries for $7.99
- Gibbie’s Pub & Eatery: Don Knotts burger and fries special
Dessert Specials include:
- Morgan’s High St DINER: “Fife Funnel Cake” -house made to order funnel cakes with powdered sugar for $4.00, add a scoop of strawberry, chocolate, or vanilla ice cream for an extra $1.00
- Cold Stone Creamery: Don Knotts special
Drink Specials include:
- Boston Beanery: “Mr. Furley’s Whiskey Sour” – Seagram’s 7 whiskey with fresh lemon juice, sugar and maraschino cherry
We can’t wait to see everyone downtown Saturday at 10:00 am