Elmer F. Jacobs built the Judge Frank Cox House in the Queen Anne Revival style in 1898. It is one of the best examples of Queen Anne Revival architecture in the city and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
It was home to Judge Frank Cox, a prominent lawyer who opened his own firm and served as prosecuting attorney, judge of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, and president of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.
Judge Frank Cox graduated from West Virginia University with a law degree in 1883, at which time he set up his first law office in Courthouse Square. He later formed a partnership with George C. Baker, called Cox and Baker. Cox and Baker specialized in oil, corporation, and chancery litigation, a field that was indicative of the shift that was occurring in Morgantown’s economy.
Judge Frank Cox also held many other prominent positions. These included judge advocate general with the rank of brigadier, vice president and member of the Board of Trade of Morgantown, member of the World’s Fair Commission for West Virginia, member and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the chairman of the 2nd Liberty Loan drive in Monongalia County, member of the school board, member of the Masons, member of the Odd Fellows, and member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Check out the full National Register listing here.
Learn more about the Judge Frank Cox House via the Historic Downtown Morgantown Audio Walking Tour.