Built circa 1785 in the Federal style, this home is a good example of what early Morgantown residences would have looked like. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and is most likely the oldest surviving stone house in Monongalia County.
Since the 18th century, it has played a multitude of roles, serving as a dwelling, tavern, tannery, and more and eventually becoming the first Methodist Protestant Church in Morgantown. This occurred in 1830 when James A. Shackelford led a reform movement in the Old Stone House. Services were held in the Old Stone House until a new building could be erected for the new Methodist Protestant congregation.
After the new church was built, the Old Stone House once again became a place of many roles. This process did not end until Judge Frank Cox gave the Service League use of the structure in 1935. At this time, the Service League took charge of the structure’s renovation, converting it to a craft and tea shop.
The Service League is a volunteer, nonprofit, charitable organization that contributes money and services to community projects, such as the Morgantown Public Library, children’s theatre, and local and national charities. Today, the Service League maintains a gift and craft shop that sells locally crafted items in the space.
Check out the full National Register listing here.
Learn more about the Old Stone House via the Historic Downtown Morgantown Audio Walking Tour.