The Rogers House was constructed circa 1857 and was one of the first houses to be built outside of the original city limits of Morgantown. It was built in the classical revival style, popular in the mid-1850s, and there is some evidence that the brick for the original section of the home was manufactured locally across the river from the Walnut Street Wharf.
Between 1905 and 1906, prominent local architect Elmer F. Jacobs created a wood frame addition to the home and remodeled its interior. This is one of the best intact interiors of the early twentieth century in present-day Morgantown.
The Rogers family pioneered Morgantown’s settlement. They owned much of present-day Morgantown, specifically the parts that are north of Decker’s Creek and east of Willey Street.
Thomas Rogers purchased this home and property from Alpheus Wells in February of 1868. Thomas Rogers was a nephew of John Rogers, who was a prominent businessman and land owner in early Morgantown. Most of the land in present-day Morgantown was passed from John Rogers to Thomas Rogers and then to his son, George.
George Rogers made his livelihood through this land by developing the areas now known as Woodburn and East Morgantown. He married Louise Clemson Brown, a direct descendent of Samuel Washington—George Washington’s brother—in June of 1895.
Later residents were Bradford B. Laidley—descendant of the owners of the first mercantile store in Morgantown—and Harlan Selby. Both Laidley and Selby were sons-in-laws of George Rogers and lived in the home with their wives and mother-in-law, Louise, after George’s death. Together, Laidley and Selby opened and operated a successful stationary store in town for many years.
The Rogers House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Check out the full National Register listing here.
Learn more about the Rogers House via the Historic Downtown Morgantown Audio Walking Tour.