The Walters Residence was built circa 1900 as Morgantown was beginning to expand north of Willey Street (known, at the time, as North Boundary Street). The construction of the late Queen Anne Revival house marked the beginning of a trend toward outward expansion from the downtown into South Park, Falling Run, and farther.
This leaves the Walters Residence significant architecturally as one of the last remaining buildings in Downtown Morgantown to reflect the period when “downtown” was the place for prominent residents to live. Additionally, the Walters Residence is one of the last unaltered residences in the Downtown area, retaining its Queen Anne Revival and Neo-Classical Revival detailing in its woodwork.
The land for this house was once owned by West Virginia’s 13th governor, William E. Glasscock. However, it was conveyed to Mary S. Walters on December 22, 1899. After Mary Walters’s death, the house served a range of purposes from a reverend’s residence to the Sigma Nu Fraternity house to a boarding house to the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity house to the Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity house to the University Christian Council building.
The Walters Residence was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Check out the full National Register listing here.
Learn more about the Walters Residence via the Historic Downtown Morgantown Audio Walking Tour.