The Caperton Trail provides a window into Morgantown’s history. As a part of the rail-trail network, the Caperton Trail rests where the Fairmont, Morgantown, and Pittsburgh Railroad traversed, railroads that were later acquired by the B&O Railroad. Historically, the railroad that existed on the present day Caperton Trail was built in 1886 to transport coal, coke, sand, limestone, and other resources to Pittsburgh and beyond, creating one of the region’s busiest highways.
Remnants of former railroad structures such as signal boxes, trestles, and telegraph poles, as well as homestead foundations, mine portals, stone quarries, and coke ovens, are still evident in the trail’s landscape. Where the Caperton Trail meets the Deckers Creek Trail and Hazel Ruby McQuain Riverfront Park, a mural along one of the structures pays homage to the trail’s railroad history.
Learn more about the present day Caperton Trail, where to park, and where to access the trail here.