This courthouse was constructed in 1891 after the earlier 1848 courthouse was deemed unsafe. However, its construction faced stark opposition from county citizens who viewed the cost of building a new courthouse as too high. To facilitate the construction of the new building, county officials demolished the old courthouse at midnight after removing county records and a wooden statue of Patrick Henry.
The building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the wooden statue of Patrick Henry is still located inside.
Listen below to learn more about the historic past of Courthouse Square.